Lithuanian Folk Museum
Less than half an hour from Kaunas, the Lithuanian Folk Museum (also Ethnographic open-air Museum) is one of the most popular places in the whole country, particularly loved by adults and children.
With an extension of approximately 195 hectares, it is one of the largest open-air ethnographic museums in all of Lithuania.
The Museum is located in Rumšiškės, along the banks of the Kaunas lagoon. Within this splendid park, it will be possible to visit historical and faithful reconstructions of four typical villages of the most important regions of Lithuania: Dzūkija (Dainava), Aukštaitija (Highlands), Suvalkija (Sudovia), Žemaitija (Samogitia) and Lithuania Minor
You can see how they looked at the end of the 18th century and the first half of the 20th century. Splendid and truly fascinating, it can be visited all year round.
OPENING HOURS LITHUANIAN FOLK MUSEUM
Photo ©, Zairon
The Park and the Ethnographic Museum is open all year round, from Monday to Sunday, at the following times:
- From October to March 31: from 10:00 to 16:00.
- April: from 10:00 to 17:00.
- From May to September: from 10:00 to 20:00.
Only during the period from May to September it is possible to visit the internal exhibitions from 10:00 to 18:00.
The Museum can be visited on foot or by car, following the specific path inside. Here are the rates applied to access the Lithuanian Folk Museum:
- Park and Museum only: €3.00 per adult, and €1.50 reduced (schoolboy, student, over 80).
- Park, Museum and Internal Visit (only from May to September): €6.00 per adult and €3.00 reduced.
- Museum + Event of the Day (for special events): €7.00 standard, €3.50 reduced.
- Entrance with car: €20 plus the cost of the entrance ticket for each person.
ADVICE FOR THE VISIT
The ideal time to visit the open-air museum is, without a doubt, from May to September, with workshops and homes open to visitors, and the possibility of accessing the exhibitions inside.
Considering the extension of the park, to visit it on foot you will have to grind many kilometers. This is not really feasible especially if you are with small children. In this case, the car is the ideal solution because it will save you time and effort.